In this dream world

We doze

And talk of dreams —

Dream, dream on,

As much as you wish


- Ryōkan (1758–1831), translated by John Stevens



It is never too late for a woman in her fifties to take on a magic carpet ride and explore the places she’s been longing to see. A decade ago, I began my journey and was allured by the charm of Southeast Asia. Then in 2015, my carpet danced to the music of the flowers of spring in East Asia. The sudden drop of temperature during my eleven-day visit to Japan caught me by surprise, but my flesh could not find any reason to whine. Full-bloomed cherry blossoms refreshed my soul. And as the days went by, I became a silent audience to the graceful falling of cherry blossom petals with every blow of cold breeze. To my imaginative eyes, the petals were ballerinas in pink and white tutus pirouetting as the air hummed some sweet Japanese melodies.

Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Spring Breeze in the East


ALLEGRO IN TOKYO

The lively tempo was everywhere in Tokyo, be it in Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku or Asakusa.  At Ueno Park, people joyously ate, drank, sang and chatted during the hanami, the annual cherry blossom viewing festival in Japan. In Japanese language, hana means flower and hanami means flower viewing.








A bowl of tonkotsu ramen at Darumanome restaurant in Shibuya eased the tiredness in my body from the endless walking around the city.



We had a taste of one of Japan’s pride, Amaou strawberries at Kyobashi Sembikiya, a fruit parlor and café in Harajuku.



My greatest tofu experience happened at Tofuya Shiba Ukai, just beside the Tokyo Tower. The restaurant serves traditional Japanese Kaiseki cuisine with tofu dishes as its specialty.  The Kaiseki cuisine is a multi-course meal served in small portion. It is prepared meticulously and beautifully using fresh and seasonal ingredients. The artful presentation of food depicts the seasonal theme of the meal. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment