In this dream world

We doze

And talk of dreams —

Dream, dream on,

As much as you wish


- Ryōkan (1758–1831), translated by John Stevens



It is never too late for a woman in her fifties to take on a magic carpet ride and explore the places she’s been longing to see. A decade ago, I began my journey and was allured by the charm of Southeast Asia. Then in 2015, my carpet danced to the music of the flowers of spring in East Asia. The sudden drop of temperature during my eleven-day visit to Japan caught me by surprise, but my flesh could not find any reason to whine. Full-bloomed cherry blossoms refreshed my soul. And as the days went by, I became a silent audience to the graceful falling of cherry blossom petals with every blow of cold breeze. To my imaginative eyes, the petals were ballerinas in pink and white tutus pirouetting as the air hummed some sweet Japanese melodies.

Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet

Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Year Ago in Japan

The memories of my visit to Japan in the spring of 2015 are lovingly kept in my mind. I just didn’t have the time and the proper mood to write about them, but my magic carpet is pushing me to continue where I have left off. So here I am sharing the chronicles of my visit to the Land of the Rising Sun exactly a year ago today.


AWAJI-SHIMA’S APRIL SONATA
From Kobe, we crossed the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge for our trip to Awaji Island. It is the world’s longest suspension bridge (3,911 meters) that links Awaji Island to Kobe in Hyogo Prefecture. The biting afternoon sea breeze welcomed us at the Awaji Service Area. But never mind the chills because the whole stretch of the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge could be viewed closely from this place. As some observers noted, the bridge is “one of the greatest triumphs of Japan in the field of engineering”.
Upon arrival in our room at The Gran Resort Elegante Awajishima, my daughter and I changed into traditional yukata, a casual kimono provided by the hotel, and headed for the dining area for a quiet traditional Japanese cuisine or Kaiseki dinner.  To complete our unhurried day, we went up to the public bath and immersed in hot spring pool while peacefully gazing at the panoramic night view through the bath’s wide clear glass panels. I seized that present moment.

I greeted the light of day on a cold spring morning with a delightful hot bowl of Awaji onion soup. The onions produced in the island are extraordinarily big and sweet. I bought some delicious instant Awaji onion soup packs for my family in the Philippines.

Flowers in full regalia danced gaily at the Awaji Yumabutai Botanical Garden. Tulips of different varieties were abloom.  Indeed, the sprightly color palette of nature in Yumebutai is like eternal bliss that resonates an utter joy to the soul.
                

 My daughter at the Awaji Service Area overlooking the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge


                


 My daughter and I wearing yukata for a Kaiseki dinner at the The Gran Resort Elegante Awajishima.
               








The flowers at the Awaji Yumabutai Botanical Garden




















A pack of instant Awaji onion soup









No comments:

Post a Comment