In this dream world

We doze

And talk of dreams —

Dream, dream on,

As much as you wish


- Ryōkan (1758–1831), translated by John Stevens



It is never too late for a woman in her fifties to take on a magic carpet ride and explore the places she’s been longing to see. A decade ago, I began my journey and was allured by the charm of Southeast Asia. Then in 2015, my carpet danced to the music of the flowers of spring in East Asia. The sudden drop of temperature during my eleven-day visit to Japan caught me by surprise, but my flesh could not find any reason to whine. Full-bloomed cherry blossoms refreshed my soul. And as the days went by, I became a silent audience to the graceful falling of cherry blossom petals with every blow of cold breeze. To my imaginative eyes, the petals were ballerinas in pink and white tutus pirouetting as the air hummed some sweet Japanese melodies.

Magic Carpet

Magic Carpet

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Serenades of Nara and Kyoto

In the ancient cities of Japan, nature swayed to the slow rhythm of the wind. The temples, shrines, parks, people and food inevitably beckoned and my heart followed the dynamics of each note. I was in awe of the massive splendor of the Tōdai-ji and Yakushiji temples in Nara and the Kiyomizu and Kinkakuji Temples in Kyoto.

    Yakushiji Temple, Nara



Tōdai-ji Temple, Nara





 Lunch at Shizuka Restaurant in Nara City was a feast to remember. The main course was a flavorful serving of kamameshi or “pot meal”.  It blended pretty well with the cozy ambiance inside and the drizzly weather outside. I noticed a number of tables with two or three Japanese women enjoying the food and soft conversations. I later learned that Japanese women, especially those in their fifties or older are fond of having small get-togethers at restaurants for lunch.





For dinner, we tried out the resto bar Suicakuri in Saidaiji, Nara City. It has a seating capacity of about ten to twelve. The place, food and drinks were orchestrated in perfect harmony by a one-woman-band, Tomoko-san. No wonder, it has become a regular stress-relieving destination for people who have had a long day at work.










   Kiyomizu Temple, Kyoto




    Kinkakuji Temple, Kyoto


On the way to Kiyomizu Temple,I could not resist the temptation of the food on display at the Gion Tamejiro restaurant. A meal of Yuba-Don was worth the stop. It's a bowl of rice topped with yuba (tofu skin) with seasoned ground chicken on the side, grated carrot, potato and kudzu (Japanese arrowroot) sauce







No comments:

Post a Comment